Area rugs are a popular choice when it comes to home decor. They come in a wide variety of styles, colors, and materials to match different tastes and preferences. Here are some common types of area rugs and their characteristics:
- Oriental Rugs: Oriental rugs are hand-knotted rugs that originated from the Middle East, Central Asia, and the Far East. They are known for their intricate designs and rich colors, and are usually made from natural materials such as wool, silk, or cotton. Oriental rugs can be expensive, but they are highly durable and can last for generations.
- Persian Rugs: Persian rugs are a type of Oriental rug that comes from Iran. They are known for their floral and geometric designs, as well as their rich colors. Persian rugs are usually made from high-quality wool, silk, or cotton, and are highly durable. They are often considered to be a valuable investment due to their beauty and longevity.
- Kilim Rugs: Kilim rugs are flat-woven rugs that originated from Turkey, Iran, and other parts of the Middle East. They are made from wool, cotton, or silk and are known for their colorful designs and patterns. Kilim rugs are lightweight and versatile, and can be used as floor coverings or as wall hangings.
- Shag Rugs: Shag rugs are characterized by their long, fluffy pile. They were very popular in the 1970s and have made a comeback in recent years. Shag rugs are soft and cozy, making them a great choice for bedrooms and living rooms. They are usually made from synthetic fibers such as polyester or nylon.
- Braided Rugs: Braided rugs are made by braiding strips of fabric or yarn together to create a circular or oval rug. They are often made from natural materials such as wool or cotton, and are highly durable. Braided rugs come in a wide variety of colors and patterns, making them a great choice for country-style homes.
- Jute Rugs: Jute rugs are made from natural fibers that come from the jute plant. They are highly durable and have a natural, earthy look. Jute rugs come in a variety of colors, but are usually in shades of tan or beige. They are a great choice for eco-conscious homeowners, as jute is a sustainable and renewable resource.
- Sisal Rugs: Sisal rugs are similar to jute rugs, but are made from the fibers of the sisal plant. They are highly durable and have a natural, textured look. Sisal rugs come in a variety of colors, but are usually in shades of beige or brown. They are a great choice for high-traffic areas such as hallways and entryways.
- Flokati Rugs: Flokati rugs are made from wool and are known for their long, shaggy pile. They originated in Greece and were traditionally used as bed coverings. Flokati rugs are soft and cozy, making them a great choice for bedrooms and living rooms. They are usually available in white or cream colors.